It seems like everywhere I look the world is falling into chaos and it’s difficult to know where my energy would be best spent. Do I focus on Putin’s oligarchy and Russia’s atrocious human rights abuses or the reams of damaging legislation that the GOP is pushing through the House and the Senate? What about the “religious freedom” bills, like South Dakota’s SB 149, that are springing up all over the country and threatening the already tenuously balanced rights of the LGBTQ+ community? How about the GOP’s attempts to make it impossible for Planned Parenthood to operate in states like Texas, by cutting off Medicaid funding, leaving thousands of women who depend on Planned Parenthood for preventive health screenings and birth control with no options? That’s not even taking into account the GOP’s recent attempt to pass the American Health Care Act , which would take Texas’ proposed attack on Planned Parenthood nationwide.
And on top of all of that, there is the dumpster fire in the White House, tweeting up a storm over every perceived slight to his fragile, orange ego.
Did you know that early last week, while we were all busy ogling the House Intelligence Committee’s hearing with FBI Director Comey, the Senate passed H.J. Res. 69? H.J. Res 69 allows for atrocious hunting practices to be used in Alaska’s wildlife refuges. It makes it legal to kill mother bears and their cubs IN THEIR DENS, WHILE THEY HIBERNATE. It also allows hunters to shoot animals from an aircraft. Believe me, nothing demonstrates commitment to sportsmanship like picking off big game from the comfort of an airplane and killing defenseless bear cubs or wolf pups while they’re sleeping.
Stellar work GOP! That’s the way to show your dominion and stewardship over the earth you say your giant, bearded sky-fairy gave you. What’s next, torturing children? Oh wait, Trump already covered that by walking back Obama’s protections for transgender youth.
What. Is. Happening?
My point, and I do have one, I promise, is that just because it feels next to impossible to keep track of what’s happening, that doesn’t mean I shouldn’t try. Together we might be able to keep each other informed if we pay attention. So, I thought I might share some of the places that I poke around in hopes that you might find them helpful, as well.
For both the US House of Representatives & the Senate:
- US Government Publishing Office: Congressional Calendars gets you the daily calendars for both the House and the Senate.
- Congress.gov lets you see current legislative activities including links to live feeds of both the House and the Senate. You can also find links to texts of bills, what actions were considered on the previous day, and records of roll call votes.
- Congress.gov: Calendars and Schedules gets you to the House and Senate Majority Leader’s and clerk’s schedules.
For the US House of Representatives:
- Bills to be Considered on the House Floor for a look at what’s being considered for the week.
- House of Representatives Schedule gives you the daily schedule of hearings with links to the bills being considered and the purpose of the hearings.
- US House of Representatives Committee Repository is a calendar view of House hearings scheduled by month.
For the US Senate:
- United States Senate Committee Hearing/Meeting Schedule will take you to a day-by-day list of hearing and committee meetings.
- United States Senate Active Legislation gives you a table of the active legislation in the Senate.
- United States Senate Roll Call Votes allows you to see recent votes, including who voted for want (fence-sitting democrats I’m looking at you!!!!).